Changing A Photoshop Layer's
Color To A Different Color While Keeping Transparency
By Neil Blevins
Created On: Apr 4th 2009
to read this tutorial in Russian.
Say you have a layer in Photoshop with some transparency, and you want
to fill that layer with a different color, except you want to keep the
layer's transparency as it is. Here's 2 ways to do it...
1) Here's your layer, black drips on a transparent background. Lets say
we want to change the color from black to brown.
2) Change your color to brown.
3) Try Edit, Fill and OK. The whole layer gets filled with brown. This
is not what we want. Undo.
4) Fill again, but this time check the "Preserve Transparency"
checkbox. Now when you fill, you keep your transparency, but you've now
filled your layer with your new color.
5) The second way is similar. Except this time, instead of turning on
"Preserve Transparency" in Fill, press the "Lock Transparent Pixels"
button in your layers window. A little lock icon will appear beside
your layer. Now use Fill. It will keep the transparency on the layer
while filling in your new color.
This site is ©2009 by Neil
All rights are reserved.
Back to NeilBlevins.com